This recipe is from the Silver Rose Inn in Calistoga. I have made it many times and it always comes out great!
What you need:
Makes: 12 servings
Prep: 20 minutes. Bake: 350° for 45 minutes.
- 1 large lemon
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Heat oven to 350°. Coat three mini loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- Grate 1 tablespoon lemon peel and squeeze 3 tablespoons of the juice and set aside. Mix flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, use a mixer at high speed to beat oil and 1 cup sugar for 2 minutes or until well blended. Beat in eggs and lemon peel. At low speed, beat in flour mixture until combined. Beat in milk and stir in nuts.
- Spoon batter into loaf pans. Bake 45-50 minutes.
- In cup, mix lemon juice and 2 tablespoons sugar. Poke holes all over tops of loaves with skewer. Brush with lemon-sugar mixture. Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and let cool completely.
Note: You can make one large loaf instead of smaller ones, but you will have to bake it at least an hour. Check bread after an hour and if it is not done in the center, cover edges with foil and check again in 10 minutes. Brush the lemon juice on top freely because it really sinks in and gives it a great tangy taste and makes it nice and moist!
Each serving (1/4 mini loaf) contains about 260 calories, 4 g protein, 32 g carbohydrate, 13 g total fat (1 g saturated), 1g fiber, 37mb cholesterol, 195 mg sodium.